New International Version (NIV)
29 When the Lord your God has brought you into the land you are entering to possess, you are to proclaim on Mount Gerizim the blessings, and on Mount Ebal the curses.
There are many scriptures regarding blessings and curses in the word. Most of the time we like to talk about blessings. Here, we are going to go into detail on curses.
I. Basics of curses
A. What is a curse?
1. they originate in the spiritual realm
2. it is a spiritual work that causes harm upon people
3. one of the main ways that God brings judgment on the rebellious and ungodly
B. What do Curses do?
1. Curses cause failure (though not all failure is caused by these), frustration, pain, and repetitive sin.
2. They seldom affect just the individual, but others around them as well
3. Once released, they continue from generation to generation until something cancels their effects.
C. What Causes Curses?
1. Curses are generally caused by not hearing or not obeying God’s word
2. Summed up in a few words: curses are caused by rebellion and disobedience
II. Seven Indications Of A Curse
- Mental and/or Emotional Breakdown
- Areas affected are the heart, soul, and mind
- Human personality is affected by invading hostile forces
- Haunted by an inner specter continually taunting a person
- Two key words are confusion and depression
- Often there is demonic or occult involvement
- Repeated or Chronic Sickness (especially hereditary)
- Warning words are:
- Remember not all sicknesses are curses or demons
- One of the most common and typical marks of a curse is a hereditary problem that is passed down from generation to generation.
- Warning words are:
- Barrenness, Female Problems
- Affects various organs or functions involved with procreation
- Can cause inability to have children
- Can also cause stillborn babies
- Breakdown of Marriage and Family Alienation
- The goal of the course is to break apart families
- Results in reoccurrence of failed relationships
- Continuing Financial Insufficiency
- Creates hunger, thirst, nakedness, and a need for all things
- Poverty is not a blessing it is a curse!
- Causes us to not have he abundance God desires us to have
- Poverty is having less than all you need to do God’s will in your life
- Abundance is having all you need to do God’s will and having left over to give
- Faith in getting God’s abundance is certain to be tested
- Wealth is more than just material
- Being “Accident Prone”
- A person that is naturally prone to personal injury
- Explains “freak” accidents
- Causes rash unpremeditated moves
- History of Suicides and/or Unnatural/untimely Deaths
- Have a negative faith that embraces death
- Usually affects generations of families
III. No Curses Occur Without a Cause
A. False gods
1. the most serious form of disobedience is acknowledging any God before or besides the Lord and making an artificial image of God and offering worship to it
2. idolatry brings curses that go down at least four generations
3. Satan’s servants often do not know the true identity of their master, being as he is the prince of darkness
4. Occult activity
B. Various moral and ethical sins
1. we all have a choice: obedience (blessings) or disobedience (curses)
2. disrespecting parents are a sins that bring a curse
3. oppression and injustice (especially against the weak and helpless)
4. Abortion is the most basic injustice
5. Abuse and perversion of the sexual relationship is the last on this basic list
a. homosexuality b. sex with people related to you c. sex with animals
1. Satan hates the Jewish people, but we must not
2. No one can afford to hate or curse the Jewish people
D. Legalism, Carnality, and Apostasy
1. These summed up is the desire to be independent of God
2. It is our corrupt flesh at work
3. Legalism is the attempt to achieve righteousness with God by observing a set of rules, or the attempt to impose extra rules for achieving righteousness that God has not laid down
4. Carnality can take many forms; all are the work of us serving our flesh selfishly
E. Theft, Perjury, Robbing God
1. Perjury is swearing falsely/ lying
2. The curse that follows theft and perjury affects your whole family
3. The curse that comes upon you in this instance is insufficiency
4. Believers filled with the holy spirit are never stingy
5. Those who do not give to God are in effect robbing him
F. Rebelling Against Authority Figures
G. Self-Imposed Curses
1. The words we speak about ourselves have immense power in the spiritual realm
2. There is no such thing as idle words
3. We must revoke, or say the opposite of the negative confession we have made
H. Soulish prayers
1. Speaking wrongly of others in our prayers is a serious curse bringing sin
2. When we pray for others we must have humility and purity of purpose
3. if you feel the need to pray and don’t know how here is an example of how to ask: Lord, I need to pray but I don’t know how. Please help me by Your Holy Spirit to pray the kind of prayer You will hear and answer.
4. Always begin pray by giving thanks to God
5. Types of wrong prayers:
a. accusatory or condemning b. dominating, manipulating
I. Servants of Satan
1. Some people open themselves deliberately to worshipping Satan
2. These people use curses as one of their tools of power
3. See occult section
J. Soulish talk
1. Soulish talk represents people in the church who are out of harmony with God
2. This involves murmuring and wrong talk in the church
IV. Taking It From A Curse To A Blessing
(7 steps to release)
A. Confess your Faith in Christ and in His Sacrifice on your Behalf
1. Must believe in your heart this is true
2. Must confess it with your mouth as well
3. Example: Lord Jesus Christ, I believe that You are the Son of God and the only way to God; and that You died on the cross for my sins and rose again from the dead.
B. Repent of all your Rebellion and your Sins
- The root of all your curses lies within yourself due to a rebellious attitude toward God.
- It is a deliberate decision on your part to lay down your rebellion and submit yourself without reservation to all that God requires of you. True repentance means no arguing with God
- Example: I give up all my rebellion and all my sin, and I submit myself to You as my Lord.
C. Claim Forgiveness of all Sins
1. Unforgiven sin is the greatest barrier to God’s blessing in our lives
2. Do not bear that guilt any longer
3. Example: I confess all my sins before You and ask for Your forgiveness.
D. Forgive all Other People who have ever Harmed you or Wronged you
1. If we want God to forgive us, we must forgive others
2. Forgiving another person is enlightened self-interest
3. Example: by a decision of my will, I forgive all who have harmed me or wronged me. Just as I want God to forgive me. In particular I forgive…
E. Renounce all Contact with Anything Occult or Satanic
1. This includes a very wide range of activities, see occult section
2. You must be ready to break all ties and leave none left
3. Example: I renounce all contact with anything occult or satanic-if I have any “contact objects I commit myself to destroy them. I cancel all Satan’s claims against me.
F. You are now Ready to Pray the Prayer for Release from any Curse
- If you committed yourself to the preceding steps, and understand that t he only basis for God’s mercy is the exchange Jesus made on the cross; you are ready to be released from any curse
- Jesus became a curse by hanging willingly on the cross.
- You must base your faith solely on what Jesus obtained for you through His sacrifice, you do not have to earn your release
- Your prayer should end with receiving what you have asked for
- Reaffirm the other steps and then pray
- Example: Lord Jesus, I believe that on the cross You took on Yourself every curse that could ever come upon me. So I ask You now to release me from every curse over my life-in Your name, Lord Jesus Christ! By faith I now receive my release and I thank You for it.
G. Now Believe that you have Received, and go on in God’s Blessing
- Open yourself, without reservation, to all that God wants to do in you and for you through His blessing
- Do not limit God according to what you think
- Example: Lord, I now open myself to receive Your blessing in every way You want to impart it to me
H. The whole prayer:
Lord Jesus Christ, I believe that You are the Son of God and the only way to God; and that You died on the cross for my sins and rose again from the dead. I give up all my rebellion and all my sin, and I submit myself to You as my Lord. I confess all my sins before You and ask for your forgiveness, especially for any sins that exposed me to a curse. Release me also from the consequences of my ancestors’ sins. By a decision of my will, I forgive all who have harmed me or wronged me-just as I want God to forgive me. In particular I forgive… I renounce all contact with anything occult or satanic-if I have any “contact objects,” I commit myself to destroy them. I cancel all Satan’s claims against me. Lord Jesus, I believe that on the cross You took on Yourself every curse that could ever come upon me. So I ask You now to release me from every curse over my life-in Your name, Lord Jesus Christ! By faith I now receive my release and I thank You for it. Lord, I now open myself to receive Your blessing in every way You want to impart it to me, amen.